We know that we have not only been commanded to prepare ourselves temporally via food storage and self-reliance training, but also to prepare ourselves spiritually and intellectually
In the Doctrine & Covenants section 88:79-80 we are commanded to learn...:
Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which
have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things
which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of
the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also
of countries and of kingdoms—
That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send
you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission
with which I have commissioned you. (emphasis added)
It is therefore essential that we augment our study of the scriptures with the study of the things that surround us in the world. We need to be informed and we must not simply rely on news papers and "the nightly news" to keep us adequately informed about all the items listed in D&C 88:79.
This section is dedicated to giving readers resources that they can utilize
to learn not only gospel-centric principles, but learn of the things that surround us in the world.
TAKE A "CRASH COURSE"
A very bright fellow by the name of Chris Martenson, PhD.,
has studied our financial system, resource support systems, and recent trends of government and personal debt. He has correlated these findings with similar
patterns in history and presents all of this in a very entertaining and
informative series of online videos he calls the
Having studied much of this material ourselves through other means, we can say
with certainty that this presentation is by far the best of all similar
study resources out there. Keeping D&C 88:79 in mind, you owe it to yourself
to spend the 3 hours it takes to go through all the parts of this "Crash Course."
It is that good and that eye-opening. Do it all in one night, or
do it over the course of a week. But do it!
Chris Martenson was recently interviewed (MP3 13Mb) by Jim Puplava of the
Financial Sense Newshour.
Jim talked to Chris about the "Crash Course," how he developed it, and why it's so important for all his (Jim's) listeners to understand the concepts provided in the Crash Course.
The following sections provide links to other educational resources both
gospel- and non-gospel related.
There's a lot of talk today about the supposed need for more
regulations, laws, government oversight, etc. to help "get us out" of this
economic mess we're in. However, with all regulations (especially at the federal
level) there almost always is a loss of economic or personal liberty.
We read about liberty and freedom
throughout the Book of Mormon. Have our leaders taught us these principles
The answer to that question is a resounding "yes," but where to find all the information? Wouldn't it be nice if somebody created a website that brought in
all these terrific resources in one place? It exists!
The very best website we have found for studying the principles of liberty as
taught to us by the general authorities is
It is packed with articles, quotes, links to videos, and audio of talks and speeches
given by Prophets and other general authorities throughout the years.
Other interesting sites / videos / MP3s are as follows:
Some sites that are great alternative news sources are:
- www.freedomsphoenix.com - A user-content driven "portal" linking to important stories of the day.
- The Reality Zone - Unfiltered News - This site provides links to "unfiltered" news compiled by G. Edward Griffin, author of "The Creature from Jekyll Island" (exposing the Federal Reserve).
- www.newswithviews.com - Collection of no-nonsense writers including Devvy Kidd, and former 2008 Presidential candidate (Constitution Party) Chuck Baldwin. Devvy especially writes very insightful articles with many links to other resources for further study.
- www.worldnetdaily.com - Articles about subjects you won't see in the main stream media.
- www.infowars.com - Articles about subjects you won't see in the main stream media, because as the URL suggests, "...there's a war on for your mind."
- www.kingworldnews.com - A great site hosting MP3 interviews with prominent economists and dignitaries.
- www.jbs.org - The John Birch Society website. Portal to things that affect our freedom. This goes in tandem with thenewamerican.com.
- www.worldaffairsbrief.com - Joel Skousen's weekly commentary. Some articles require a very inexpensive subscription fee but his site acts as a "portal" of links to articles you might miss.
- www.rense.com - Jeff Rense's portal to news stories, op-ed's, etc.
- www.goldseek.com - Many informative links on trends within the economy (not just a "gold bug" site).
- www.dailyreckoning.com - Commentary by Bill Bonner (producer of the movie I.O.U.S.A.) and other writers.
- www.theinternationalforecaster.com - Bob Chapman is "The International Forecaster."
- The Korelin Economics Report - Al Korelin's site filled with articles, video, audio, etc.
- The August Review - Global Elite Research Center, compiled by Patrick Wood. Many great articles here.
- Lewrockwell.com - Links to current events with Lew's libertarian-based commenary.
- offthegridnews.com - Articles (and free newsletter) about going "off grid" with aspects of our daily lives.
There are many economists and financial gurus that publish
"internet radio" shows or "podcasts" that can be downloaded and listened to for
free. The following are links to these podcast:
- Financial Sense Newshour - Hosted by Jim Puplava & John Loeffler, this weekly podcast
goes over the stock, bond, energy, and precious metals markets.
In addition, domestic and world political and geopolitical
events are discussed. Authors of recent books are often interviewed as
well. This weekly podcast is REQUIRED LISTENING each week!
- Wall Street Unspun - Weekly podcast from President of EuroPacific Capital Peter Schiff. Again,
required listening each week!
- Financial Survival - Financial Survival sponsored by Discount Gold & Silver Trading with Melody Cedarstrom & The "International Forecaster"
Bob Chapman. Bob
joins Melody's show Mon/Wed/Fri.
- Goldseek Radio - Commentary on the economy, precious metals markets, etc.
- Korelin Economics Weekend Report - Al Korelin and guests give commentary on the week's economic events.
- Corbett Report - James Corbett gives you the unfiltered news and non-propaganda take on world events.
- RBN - Republic Broadcasting features many liberty-minded shows especially "The Nation Intel Report" with John Standtmiller. You CAN handle the truth!
- Michael Badnarik's Constitution Class - This is one of the best classes on the US Constitution and individual rights that you will ever see!
ORGANIZATIONS PROMOTING FREEDOM
As President Ezra Taft Benson reminds us in his two talks linked above, one of
our primary responsibilities is to fight for and promote Freedom and individual
Liberty. One of the ways we can do this and make a difference is by aligning
ourselves with organizations whose charter is to fight for liberty and freedom.
The following are some worthy orgnizations to check into:
- The John Birch Society - Established in 1958 by Robert Whelch, the John Birch Society continues to fight for freedom and individual liberty. Their mission>: To bring about less government, more responsibility, and — with God's help — a better world by providing leadership, education, and organized volunteer action in accordance with moral and Constitutional principles. The New American Magazine is published in coordination with the JBS.
- Freedom Force - Established by G. Edward Griffin, this organization seeks to educate and motivate people to "not fight city hall, become city hall!"
- Nation Center for Constitutional Studies - Originally established by W. Cleon Skousen as "The Freemen Institute," this organization works relentlessly to educate Americans on the principles of and surrounding the United States Constitution.
READING LIST / DOCUMENTARIES & VIDEOS
- The New American magazine. Great information at current events that penetrates through the MSM "spin."